In 1934, nineteen women in the Stuart area formed a group called the DIRT GARDENERS which became the nucleus of our garden club.
Anne Bates Leach was instrumental in forming The Garden Club of Stuart, Inc. and in October of 1936 became its first President. On January 29, 1937, they affiliated with the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. The constitution stated 'The object of this Club shall be to promote intelligence in regard to the flora of southern Florida, interest in gardening, and cooperation in civic beautification and in the protection of trees, shrubs and flowers.'
By adhering to these objectives our membership has swelled to almost 200 ambitious, interested women.